Must I use a contractor for work done at my house?

If you own and reside in the home:

  • The owner/resident may complete the work on their own home
  • The owner/resident may have help, as long as the work is still being completed and supervised by the owner/resident
  • This is only allowed for Single Family Dwellings.

Commercial, Two Families or Rentals:

  • Any work that requires electrical, plumbing or fire protection must be done by a licensed contractor.

Permits and inspections are required for all relevant work whether performed by the home owner or contractor. Please contact the construction office at 732-828-2100 ext. 136 to ascertain the necessary permits and schedule inspections.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a building permit from the Construction Office ?
2. How much will my construction permit cost?
3. Must I use a contractor for work done at my house?
4. How do I schedule an inspection?
5. When are inspections done?
6. What method of payment can I use when picking up my permit?